If you’re coming to your first DSW session here’s what to do and what to expect:
Sessions are either at Kilbirnie Pool (Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre, 63 Kilbirnie Crescent) or the Aquadome (at Wellington East Girls’ College): Check the homepage to find times and places of each session.
On public holidays we don’t swim. If there is an event at Kilbirnie we may switch pools, or cancel the session. Watch the front page of the website and/or Facebook page for details. From time to time, if the coach is unavailable, we may have an uncoached session in a booked lane – the coach will give us a session to follow.
- Just bring your togs and a pair of goggles
- At Kilbirnie pool: pay pool entry like any pool user – there is no charge at the Aquadome
- Get changed and come out to the poolside
- Find us in the pool! Many of the club’s members wear black togs with the orange DSW logo: so we’re easy to find.
- Say hi to Tim our coach, and jump in! there are two lanes at Kilbirnie – one slightly faster and one slightly slower, and three at the Aquadome, so you can find the right speed for you. You don’t have to be an expert to swim with us! All abilities, speeds and styles are welcome.
- Introduce yourself to others, and we’ll introduce ourselves to you too. It’s always nice to see new people.
- During the one hour session, Tim will give us instructions: we usually swim short sets of 2-12 lengths, with a variety of strokes and exercises, and then short rests in between where everyone catches up ready to start the next set together. Sometimes we use pool buoys or kickboards (supplied by the pool: you don’t need your own). If you don’t know how to do something just say so, Tim can help you find a way to do every exercise. Take a rest if you need it.
- At the end of the session, have a chat to Tim and other club members to see how you found it all. If you haven’t already paid for the session, give the session fee to one of the club committee members, or buy a 10 trip ticket, or remember to pay by internet banking once you get the chance. (Fees are paid to the club on top of pool admission: see this page for details.)
- Sometimes – usually first Thursday of the month – club members go out informally to get food or a drink after a session.
- Come back next time!!